Magento 2 data migration tool: An extensive tool for Magento migration
The data migration tool is a product of Magento used for transferring data from Magento 1 to Magento 2. It is actually a command-line interface (CLI).
This tool helps to track the data transfer, logs creation, and to run data verification tests. Also, to verify consistency between Magento 1 and 2 database structures.
THE MAGENTO 2 DATA MIGRATION TOOL
With Magento 2 data migration tool, you can migrate the following data:
- orders, invoices, shipments, credit memos
- core configuration
- wishlist, ratings
The Data Migration Tool operates in three modes in the data transfer process, they are:
- Settings: Configuration settings migration
- Data: Main data migration in the database
- Delta: Incremental data updates transfer, which is added to Magento 1 storefront. And the Admin Panel while running previous migration modes.
Magento 1 and Magento 2 has a lot of differences in the structure and format of data. So the custom mapping should be clear, if not there will be errors in data migration processing.
Following versions are supported for Migration
- Community Edition (CE) version 1.6.x, 1.7.x, 1.8.x, 1.9.x
- Enterprise Edition (EE) version 1.11.x, 1.12.x, 1.13.x, 1.14.x
Why Do We Need Magento 2 Data Migration Tool?
One can’t ignore this free and easy Magento 2 data migration tool. We need this special tool in moving data from a source location to a target system folder. The data migration tool often used for various reasons.
But here we need it to make changes in infrastructure while migrating to Magento 2.
As we all know, the Magento team will no longer support Magento 1 version. And they’re going to stop releasing new security-related updates and patches after 2020.
Here each mode consists of several steps. Those steps carry specific tasks related to the mode such as EAV, settings, and URL rewrite. Each step in the mode will perform the following tasks:
- Checks for data and structural integrity between databases.
- After successful verification, performs the transfer.
- Then checks for the amount of data that transferred.
DATA Migration Plan
- Review Extensions and Modules
- Install Magento 2
- Stop Magento 1 Cron and Admin activity
- Start Data migration
- Copy data, settings, and media
- Copy storefront, media, design, and ACLs
- Run all indexes and clear caches
- Test Magento 2 site for update
- End migration (Go Live)
Data Migration Prerequisites
- Install the new Magento 2 environment on the server.
- Stop Magento2 Cron Jobs
- Backup the Magento 2 database.
- Check the data migration access to both databases.
Hence, The Magento 2 data migration tool is a key component in migrating the store data without any data loss.
Contact us to know about Magento 2 migration process in detail.