How to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 with few steps?
It’s official!! Yes, the Magento team has officially announced its discontinuation of support for Magento 1 from June 2020. You may consider this migration as a choice but its mandate.
Though you have been with your site and all its components since the support for it will no longer be provided.
So, the sooner you make the decision, the better. For those who still rely on the Magento 1 may face some sequential downfall in their business. Those store owners failing to migrate from Magento 1 will no longer receive security updates and features of Magento 2. So, it’s clear that existing Magento 1 users have only a singular option(i.e. migrating the current site to Magento 2).
Thus, this is a high time to consider migrating your site to Magento 2. Migration benefits your business with an enhanced feature set and security improvements.
Here we provide you the step-by-step guide to:
- To bring down the risky complexities of the migration process
- Secure every stage of migration(i.e. throughout the way to deployment)
- Organizing the process
Magento migration is a tedious task to execute, we accept. But not much as it seems, there is nothing to worry about. We are to guide you to migrate from Magento1 to Magento 2 with just a few steps.
MIGRATE FROM MAGENTO 1 TO MAGENTO 2: STEPS TO FOLLOW
Assess Your Current Working Environment
The first primary part of moving from the old home(Magento 1) to the new one(Magneto 2) is to review your Magento 1 implementation.
Now start by assessing your current environment, following by configuring with the list of Magento 2 software and hardware requirements.
- PHP: 7.0.13+ or any suitable version
- Database: Best fit database to sync easier
- +4G of RAM
- PHP extensions: soap, curl, openssl, intl, libxml etc.
Now it’s time to analyze some key elements of your current eCommerce store consisting of extensions, UX, and several configurations.
Ask yourself the following Magento 2 migration checklist come questions before getting started:
- How many numbers of storefronts and domains are in your current Magento 1 site?
- Is your current store big enough with your all products, users, attributes, orders?
- How large your ecosystem of third-party extensions, theme, core customization, and various integrations like CRM and ERPs?
Choose The Right Migration Tool
The Data migration tool plays a prime role in the Magento migration process. It helps in migrating a lot of products, users, and orders data from Magento 1 to Magento 2. So choosing the right migration tool will greatly drive the whole process. Before that, still, there are two points to remember to step into a migration plan.
- Though the migration available, you still need to write custom code to merge data into the new platform.
- We need to modify your custom code to fit in the standard dataset in Magento 2.
Migrate Your Website’s Design
Theme set of Magento 1 cannot be transferred to Magento 2 in a minute. So the theme is to be optimized or recreated with a new standard to fit in the Magento 2 site. The good news is that the newest release of Magento provides you with a lot of freedom. With this, you can create a more interactive and responsive online store.
You can also opt for some premium theme set for your Magento 2 site from the online marketplace. Thus make sure that the theme you are selecting must be vibrant and flexible enough to match with the current store. So it offers you two options to choose from.
- Either to create a whole new theme from scratch.
- Or purchase a Magento theme.
Find Compatible Extensions
As the extensions of the Magento 1 site aren’t compatible with the Magento 2 site. But some popular extensions have been updated and now supports the new version of your eCommerce site. Developers have had more time to perfect their Magento 2 extensions.
If you’re not interested in changing your workflow of the extensions, try to find some better alternatives. There are some points to remember in theme migration:
- Don’t make your workflow complicated, keep simple. Because simplicity is the key.
- Check whether the new themes are compatible with the current site.
- Search for some new extensions to integrate it with Magento 2, if not the above rule fits.
- Use only trusted extensions from trusted developers.
Migrate Custom Code
To make a peculiar eCommerce site, build it with custom code. It’s important to migrate the code to Magento 2 securely. Magento offers an easy-to-use tool called migration toolkit to simplify the migration process. Though it transfers most of your codes, still the developers need to put some extra effort to complete the whole process.
Migrate Your Website’s Data
The final step of migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 includes your website’s data. This migration refers to all the stores, products, settings, customer, and configurations. Magento powered you by a special tool called Magento 2 Data Migration Tool.
This tool allows you to migrate data to the new Magento 2 site to create a new structure. It further needs some additional processes to complete. They are:
- Install the tool using Composer.
- Generate or enter your existing authentication keys (Magento Marketplace > Sign in > Click on My Access Keys).
- Start configuring your tool.
- Use the following command to start data migration;
php bin/magento migration:data — reset<path to your config.xml>
Even though the process of migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 requires a lot of effort and time. So only the migration experts can do it with the utmost efficiency in optimizing your Magento site. This migration comes with highly capable features and advantages to enhance the overall experience of your website.
Planning to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 store? Contact us, We would always love to hear from you!!